Peace Corps Connect is coming to the Rocky Mountain State!
See you in Denver, August 4, 5 & 6, 2017
University of Denver
2199 South University Blvd, Denver, CO 80208
Located on the light rail line
(Take the A Line from Denver International Airport to Union Station.
Take the E-line from Union Station [downtown] to the University of Denver station. Approximately 2 hour ride).
Google other routes (car, bus). Or support a Colorado-grown ride share App developed by members of the Ethiopian/Vietnamese immigrant community: Hovit. Download the app for $15.00 off your first ride.
About Peace Corps Connect 2017
- Partnering for Progress: Taking Collaborations to New Heights. Keynote speakers, panelists, exhibitors, and breakout sessions will all address this theme through focus areas such as global health, environment, economic development, equality and justice, and education and youth development.
- Registration http://www.peacecorpsconnect.org/events/peace-corps-connect-partnering-for-progress.
- Lodging: Dormitory rooms will be available at an affordable rate. The co-hosts, the RPCVs of Colorado, http://www.peacecorpsconnect.org/events/peace-corps-connect-partnering-for-progress.
- Annual RPCVs of Colorado picnic (Sunday, August 6). The RPCVs of Colorado would also like to invite everyone for our annual RPCV of Colorado picnic. The picnic will take place outdoors on the University of Denver campus, with food and drink provided via catering. Conference registration will include a ticket for the picnic. Tickets will also be available just for the picnic.
Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCV events TBD
- E&E RPCV Affiliate Meeting (Business meeting) 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Friday, August 4, 2017. DU Campus, Anderson Academic Commons (Library)
- Optional dinner at a favorite Ethiopian restaurant 6:00 p.m. Friday, August 4, 2017.
- Pre-conference (August 4) There will be a pre-conference event on the Peace Corps and Rotary partnership on August 4.
- Harris Wofford Reception, Saturday, August 5, 2017 on the University of Denver campus
- Taste of Ethiopia, all day, Saturday August 5, 2017. Location : Parkfield Lake Park, 15555 E. 53rd Ave. Denver, CO 80239
- All conference picnic, Sunday, August 6, 2017.
All day event. Free admission. Food for purchase. Traditional dancing, music, fashion show, booths, and citizenship ceremony.
- Nile Ethiopian Restaurant 1951 S Havana St, Aurora, CO 80014 (720) 748-0239
- Arada Ethiopian Restaurant 750 Santa Fe Dr., Denver, CO 80204, (303) 329 344
- Africana Café 5091 E Colfax Ave., Denver, Colorado. (303) 320-9515
- Axum Restaurant 5501 East Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80220 303-329-6139
City of Axum Park 4400 Bruce Randolph Ave. Denver, CO 80207.On January 20, 1995, Denver Mayor Wellington Webb signed the proclamation and declared the day as Axum Day. On November 12, Mayor Webb led a delegation to visit Axum. The people of Axum turned out in mass lining the streets of the city. To commemorate the occasion, Denver Street was named in the middle of Axum. In turn, the City of Denver named a park in honor of the Sister City relationship.
Gloria Curtis (Asmara 1963–65) was instrumental in directing the painting of buildings on the park.
Blair-Caldwell African American Research Library. 2401 Welton St, Denver, CO 80205. Denver First Lady, Wilma Webb, was presented with a beautiful Ethiopian dress which is on display at the Blair-Caldwell African American Research Library 2401 Welton St. Denver, CO 80205