FROM 1962 TO 1976, 1995 to 1999, and 2007 onward more than 2,500 Peace Corps Volunteers worked in education, health, agriculture, community development and other fields in Ethiopia and Eritrea, countries that remain among the poorest in the world.
In 2003 Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCVs established the RPCV Legacy Program™ to allow returned Peace Corps Volunteers from these two countries to continue their legacy of service and assistance. To be part of the Program each project must be proposed by an RPCV or EE Staff “champion,” and reviewed and approved by the E&E RPCVs board of directors.
The champion donates 10% of the goal for the project, is manager of the project working closely with a member of the E&E RPCVs board. Be a champion.
As of June, 23,2014, the RPCV Legacy Program has raised US $205,00.00 for eight important education and health projects in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Five projects have met their goals while three others are ongoing.
Our current projects are:
- Borana Student Advancement championed by Fuller Torrey (staff: Ethiopia 1964–66)
- Health Guides for 200 Communities championed by (Marian Haley Beil, Debre Berhan 1962–64)
- ITC (computer) Lab for Mettu School championed by Patti Garamendi (Mettu 1966–68) and Faith Garamendi
- Water for Ethiopian Vegetable Gardens championed by Linda Harbaugh Hillman (Gondar 1967–68) and John Hillman (Gondar 1966–68)
YOU can help by making a tax-deductible donation of any amount to one or more of the RPCV Legacy Program projects. A US dollar still goes a long way in Ethiopia and Eritrea!
Your gift may be made in your name, anonymously, or in honor or memory of a friend, family member or other loved one.
To Donate with PayPal
Click on the button for the project you would like to support and you will go to PayPal:
To donate using a check:
- Make your check out to E&E RPCVs,
- In the subject line, name the recipient project,
- Send your check to —
492 Staten Ave #1003
Oakland CA 94610
Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCVs will acknowledge receipt of your donation and provide donors with documentation of donations for tax purposes.
E&E RPCVs maintains a separate account for each project and disburses ALL donations for each project to the recipient partner.